Earlier we talked about what men should wear to court. Although most of that post is relevant in today's post, there are a few areas which are specific to female litigants.
- Clothes should be clean.
- Clothes should be free of holes.
- Clothes should fit you properly. Tight clothes are not appropriate.
- No shorts.
- If you choose to wear a skirt or dress, make sure that the hem hits your knee or slightly above your knee.
- No flip flops or beach shoes.
- No t-shirts with logos on them.
- Wear appropriate footwear such as flats or pumps. Use caution if you choose to wear boots, platform or stiletto shoes. If the shoes make you look like an exotic dancer, you might want to rethink your footwear.
- Do not wear leggings unless you are wearing a tunic top which covers your tush completely.
- Your bra or bra strap should not be visible. Do not wear a sheer blouse.
- Makeup should be tasteful and subdued. (i.e. leave the fake lashes with glitter for the weekend)
I tell most of my female clients that they can choose to wear a suit if they feel comfortable wearing one. However, it is not necessary. Again the important thing is not that the clothes are designer but that they are clean and appropriate. If you can go straight to the club from court, it is probably not appropriate attire.